Skip to main content

A magical place

As our holiday cottage is on the edge of the gardens of Colonsay House, there is daily opportunity to roam through the woodland area, which is open to the public.  

There is some industry in the wood, tree felling and a collection of beehives on the north east perimeter.  Over the years, though, the gardens have become a bit of a wilderness, but with that comes a mysterious and magical atmosphere.  Moss encrusted dry stone walls with tumbling coloured ribbons of fallen blossoms, the exotic patterns on the cinnamon-barked myrtles, old and twisted branches weaving their way along overgrown paths, outsized rhododendron leaves, smelly American skunk cabbage, prehistoric-looking gunnera, and ethereal skeleton leaves.  I can't get enough of it, and the dogs enjoy it too.  Lots of new smells!
Same bloom, three days later


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!