Skip to main content

A new walk and everyday miracles

I found a new walk yesterday.  Beautiful, open and with great views to Fife in the north.  I love a huge field with a big grassy track all the way around it. Easy, enjoyable walking.
As the dogs and I walked, I was revelling in the thought of my two new baby granddaughters. Adorable little things, the youngest  and tiniest being a feisty wee girl - like her mother!  I have been taking their older siblings to see their mum in hospital this week, and it has been a delight to see them jostling to take turns to hold these tiny babies.  They look down at them in wonder - such tiny fingers and toes - perfect little creations.  Walking round the field it occurred to me that we are all so busy accumulating money and possessions that most of our lives are not spent appreciating the tiny miracles of every day life.  A dandelion for example.  When was the last time you really looked at a dandelion?  
And the dandelion dock.  What could be more immaculately designed than this!  And we walk past them, trample on them, mow them down and generally dismiss them.  Shame on us!
Along the north side of the field there was a long stretch of this plant.  
At first I thought it was a blackberry - an ordinary bramble, but looking at the leaves and general habit that is not right, but I haven't been able positively identify it.  It could be a stone bramble, Rubus saxatilis, although the leaves are rather more rounded at the tips than those shown in the reference books, so I am not sure.  Any suggestions very welcome.  Whatever it is, it's rather lovely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.