Skip to main content

A tale of the unexpected

I had a big jug of chicken stock in the fridge and decided to make a minestrone for supper over the weekend.  We love big soupy suppers.  You can pile lots of bits and pieces into them without the recipe losing too much of its integrity!  They can lean in the general direction of all sorts of places - Thailand, the American North Eastern seaboard or the deep South amongst others, and of course Italy.  A generous grating of Parmesan, a drizzle of good olive oil and some fresh basil or pesto on top and you are away.  I like to put shredded cabbage in my minestrones and I noticed recently that the farm shop just outside the village has started PYO veg.  Just the ticket.

We had a lovely family walk with the dogs on Belhaven Beach.  It was warm and sunny and, as always, we came back with all sorts of bits and pieces in our pockets, most of which ended up on my ever-increasing pile of shells, rocks and driftwood.  

On our way back from the beach our young weekend guest and I dropped in to the farm shop.  I was looking forward to having a nosy around the vegetable field.  I was armed with my camera. Vegetables are just as beautiful and varied as fruit and flowers and, as the afternoon was wearing on, the light was changing to that lovely late September gold.
We were having a wander amongst the fennel and french beans when a very engaging young man appeared on the scene and offered to show us to the Savoy cabbage patch.  Who could possibly resist such an unexpected bonus to our visit!  We were given a wonderful guided tour through the array of vegetables on offer, broccoli with heads the size of cauliflowers, cabbages the size of footballs, beautiful purple kale, pumpkins, Cavolo Nero, lemon basil, chervil, celariac, and we tried a slither each of three kinds of beetroot - candy, golden and original and a munch on a Chantennay carrot.  
 I now know where to come in four weeks or so when Halloween comes around!
We jested that a bride could easily hold a head of broccoli as she walked down the aisle.  It would save a lot of faffing around with wiring and balancing of blooms.  The bride would have to be careful when tossing her bouquet away though, she could knock a bridesmaid out with one of these!  You could feed a small family for a week and all for 80p!  Brilliant!
I hadn't expected such an array of produce and certainly more than enough to convince me that I will be a regular visitor from now on.  It is an Aladdin's cave of veg and I am delighted to have all this on our doorstep.  The best part is that we can eat with the seasons and the food miles amount to about 3.  What could be better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!