Skip to main content

Burgh Island

First thing on Thursday morning, last week, I took Tilly out for a walk and we passed this intriguing little place in the back walkways of Totnes.  It is the Leechwell, a set of three springs which, in the 1400s, were considered to have healing properties (read more here - the springs still feature in Totnes life today http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leechwell).  Totnes is such an ancient place that at every turn you come across something extraordinary.  I had no idea these were here.  
My cousin had some good suggestions of how to spend the day.  We plumped for a visit to Burgh Island, driving along the Avon estuary as there is a road exposed during low tide, which makes the journey rather interesting.  We saw masses of birds, all poking about in the mud flats.
Burgh Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgh_Island) sits across a large expanse of sand from Bigbury, cut off twice a day by the tide travelling in and out of the Avon Estuary.  
We walked over to the island, and were rather entertained by the sight of a tractor towing an ancient, small fishing boat, across the sand, complete with crew on board.  Only in Devon!
The equally ancient tractor then backed carefully into the sea, launching the boat in a very sedate and well-practiced routine.
Burgh Island has a restored, 1920s Art Deco hotel.  It's a glamorous place to stay, and hotel guests arrive either by a shiny black MPV when the tide is out, or a big sea tractor which can travel through the water when the tide is in.
On the way back to Totnes we stopped at a garden centre, where we had a very enjoyable wander round.  A good day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!