Skip to main content

Getting in the Christmas spirit - down under

This is my idea of Christmas decorations!  Big bunches of holly, with ivy trailing through, and holly sprigs over picture frames.  
In the southern hemisphere it's all a bit different.  Here are a few snaps of Christmas decs, Melbourne-style.

Someone's front door,
Victorian arcades in downtown Melbourne,
Christmas lights on Bourke Street,
a municpal building, all wrapped up 
Father Christmas, as you have never seen him before,
 white bulbs, like bubbles, strung overhead at Queen Victoria Market,
 and a message plastered across Flinders Street Station.
I thinking I am being a bit churlish, and I am sure it all looks a bit more thrilling at night time, but, for me, the colours don't exactly zing or sparkle.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!