Skip to main content

Graffiti trail, part 2

Seeking out graffiti means exploring some fairly grotty parts of a city - its alleys and back streets. These are not places I would normally be seen!  However, if you want to find a little gem, you have to go searching.  The kind of graffiti shown in the photo below is not the kind of thing I enjoy.  In fact it is probably exactly what gives this art form a bad name - random scrawling all over anything that doesn't move - it's vandalism really. 
 But in amongst it all, there are fun things to be found,
and impressive work which requires enormous skill and vision.
I am not sure how they do the sort of image shown below.  It looks like a transfer but you don't see the same thing all over the place, so maybe it's not!  I must try and find out.
Some of this stuff isn't graffiti, it's just decoration.  The back alleys are not nice, so anything is an improvement!
Some use graffiti to ask a question, or demonstrate their angst about something!
 I woz 'ere too.
I had an art tutor once, who said that colour was her oxygen.  I think it's mine too, so pieces like this really ring my bell!
Some graffiti is rather more like an installation than just paint on a wall.
More corrugated iron,
and a rampant squash plant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!