Skip to main content

Graffiti trail, part 2

Seeking out graffiti means exploring some fairly grotty parts of a city - its alleys and back streets. These are not places I would normally be seen!  However, if you want to find a little gem, you have to go searching.  The kind of graffiti shown in the photo below is not the kind of thing I enjoy.  In fact it is probably exactly what gives this art form a bad name - random scrawling all over anything that doesn't move - it's vandalism really. 
 But in amongst it all, there are fun things to be found,
and impressive work which requires enormous skill and vision.
I am not sure how they do the sort of image shown below.  It looks like a transfer but you don't see the same thing all over the place, so maybe it's not!  I must try and find out.
Some of this stuff isn't graffiti, it's just decoration.  The back alleys are not nice, so anything is an improvement!
Some use graffiti to ask a question, or demonstrate their angst about something!
 I woz 'ere too.
I had an art tutor once, who said that colour was her oxygen.  I think it's mine too, so pieces like this really ring my bell!
Some graffiti is rather more like an installation than just paint on a wall.
More corrugated iron,
and a rampant squash plant!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!