Skip to main content

Barns Ness

Tilly and I went for a walk at Barns Ness yesterday.  This is an area just along the coast from Dunbar.  It is one of the four sites which forms part of the grazing survey I am helping with.  Sheep having been grazing here, and certainly the larger of the three paddocks, where the sheep have been contained, is full of flowers.  Lots of lady's bedstraw, wild thyme and bird's-foot-trefoil, which we used to call bacon and eggs, when I was a child!  The mix of scent from the lady's bedstraw, and lots of white clover, was spicy, sweet and delicious.

Barns Ness is a popular spot for fossil spotters.  Tilly and I walked along the beach, and in the rock pavement I could see signs of coral fossils.  I know absolutely nothing about fossils, but it is a thrill to still be able to see something that lived millions of years ago.
There is a lighthouse at Barns Ness.  Its first beam shone out across the Forth on 1 October 1901, and was eventually de-activated in 2005.
A little further down the coast is the brooding box of Torness Nuclear Power Station.  Roll on 2023, its proposed decommission date.
 
This is what the grazing project is all about.  Exquisite butterflies, and bees buzzing from one flower to another.
 This is a lovely little collection of wild thyme, eyebright and lady's bedstraw.
and not forgetting, a beautiful example of the flower of Scotland!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!