Skip to main content

The antidote!

In a complete contrast to the razzmatazz of yesterday's jaunt into Edinburgh, to embrace the joys of the Fringe, Tilly and I have just had a very welcome walk around the barley field.  

I am no expert but it looks to me as though the crop is almost ready for harvest.  It has lost its glisten and the ears of barley are darkening and becoming dull.
We saw six or seven beautiful hares.  They were sitting in the grass, enjoying the gentle, late afternoon sunshine, and the warm wind blowing across their backs.
The sumptuous crab apple blossom I photographed in the spring, is now yielding ripening fruit,
and the deserted wasp's nest, firmly built into an elderberry bush, looked slightly less threatening in this afternoon's light than the battleship grey of the other day.
Look, the plants along the field edges are turning tawny!  Summer has almost run its course.  :o(

Comments

  1. You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley.
    You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk the fields of gold!
    Opening lines to Sting's Fields of Barley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of that song when I took the first photo of the field yesterday! Great song! A x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!