Skip to main content

Two positive indicators

When so much in our world is unpredictable, you can always rely on the countryside to respond faithfully to the seasons.  As we inch towards the end of summer, the harvest began yesterday. This morning Tilly and I were able to walk round one of our favourite fields. They haven't baled up the straw yet, and it lay in long, soft pillows.  I could have thrown myself in one, but I had only just got out bed!  
The modern combine harvester, or combinester as my daughter called them when she about six, is a very sophisticated beast.  The driver now has a computer screen, with GPS, probably a sound system, and sits on a padded seat in an air conditioned cab, protected from the elements -  all a far cry from the farm worker of days gone by!
In the small lake, in one corner of the field, there were four pink patches of amphibious bistort, bobbing about on the ripples, as the wind blew across the water.
Along the western edge of the field, gathering on the telegraph wires, were dozens of swallows and house martins.  Another reliable indicator that summer is drawing to a close.  The birds chattered, excitedly, as they lined up along the wire.  They looked like notes on a musical score.  There was a sense of the departures hall in an airport.  I know that these bold little souls will soon be setting off on a long-haul flight, crossing continents, flying above seas, cities, war zones, to far away places.  I had a sense of fear and trepidation for them, a few tears for their leaving and the end of summer, and an overwhelming sense of admiration for their unswerving resolve to do what they must, come what may. 
Brave little miracles, I bid you farewell, fair winds for your journeying, and a safe return next spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!