Skip to main content

Last Saturday

Last Saturday, we visited Hauser & Wirth, the extremely sophisticated art gallery in the heart of the Somerset countryside.  It is an interesting place, although a bit random in such a rural setting.

The current exhibition appealed to me rather more than I thought it would.  You can read more about it here, http://www.hauserwirthsomerset.com/exhibitions/invisible-reality-20160212, although I have to say I can't make head or tail of this synopsis - far too intellectual!  Basically, it was a series of quirky ways of making use of old aluminium cooking pots and pans.  But then I love to cook, and I enjoyed seeing the old frying pans, balti dishes, preserving pans, North African tea and coffee pots etc, even though some of them had been completely flattened and compressed into a series of rectangular pieces to hang on the wall!  I couldn't help thinking about all the meals which had been cooked in those pans, and how many mouths they had fed in their working lifetime.  Anyway, I took some photos which I hope gives you the general idea!

This brass ball is in fact the backside of a massive piece, shaped like a cooking pot, with barbed wire inside.  A curious combination.
The centrepiece was the reconstruction of a little wooden Indian building, with a billowing length of white fabric streaming out of its roof, while pieces of thin metal, fixed to the walls, were flexing to produce an unnerving, extremely loud noise which quite unbalanced my hearing.  It was all a bit weird, and I made a quick exit from the exhibition space before I fell over!  
And then out into the Oudolph Field.  The garden, designed by Piet Oudolph, which I saw in its first year last summer, is now looking like every other garden at this time of the year.  Rather dull.  The gardener working away in one of the beds was a very disillusioned chap.  The soil is poor, despite it having been shipped in for each flowerbed.  Drainage is poor, and he is not optimistic about the longterm health of the garden.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, the rather bizarre building at the far end, which I call the slug, is even more evident than it was before, because there is nothing else to distract the eye.  
Although delightful to see, I was a bit dismayed to discover kingcups (marsh marigolds) flowering in the garden's pond.  These shouldn't be out for weeks yet.
The inside of the slug isn't too bad.  The space is quite pleasing, and its walls are translucent, which is rather nice.



Comments

  1. I shouldn't worry about those Marsh Marigolds - I've just been reading about some flowering in an Alder wood on another blog - http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.co.uk/ so it must be the right time of year for them.
    As for that press release about the art gallery - what a load of guff!!! I wouldn't have minded seeing the exhibition, though; it does look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a load of guff, you are right! There's a word for that kind of twaddle which doesn't immediately spring to mind, but I am sure you know what I mean! I did enjoy the exhibition though, but really only on the level of being a keen cook! A

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I'm not his missus, having to store all those pans while he collected enough for his exhibitions!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!