Skip to main content

Lush? Absolutely!

lush
adjective
  1. 1
    (of vegetation, especially grass) growing luxuriantly.
    "lush greenery and cultivated fields"
    These days the word 'lush' brings to my mind that overpoweringly smelly soap shop on many UK high streets.  One's nostrils are assailed from some way off, with the sickly smell of synthetic strawberry, melon, vanilla, and goodness only knows what else.  It seems a shame, because at this time of the year the very best word one can use to describe the countryside is lush, but somehow I can't get away from the shop!  Anyway, Mr Gaucho and I took a walk a little earlier this evening, and it was luscious, glorious, vibrant with fresh bright greens and luxuriant with new growth
    We weren't the only ones enjoying the sunshine.  We saw over a dozen hares, busy in the fields, doing early evening stuff.  Love the ears!

Comments

  1. The contrast between the very blue of the sky and the greenness of the trees is so vibrant and clear....it's a favourite of mine and I often comment on it, over here in Oz. It really is what they talk about in children's books, the sky is blue and the grass is green.

    Love to the hares...enjoying all that succulent crop/grass.

    Enjoy it all xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!