Skip to main content

A flower a day, on Colonsay

My mother, Nancy, was born one hundred years ago today.  27 April 1917.  I have decided to post a photograph of a Colonsay flower every day that we are here, and Mum loved bluebells, so here is the first flower, just for her.

The native British bluebell, Hyacinthoides non-scripta 

Comments

  1. What a perfect way to remember Nancy. Somewhere, I still have the letters she wrote to me, when you and I were very much younger. So, this seems to be exactly the right time to seek them out again.DX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 100 years ago! That's quite something to get my head around! Lovely tribute! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine how old that makes me feel! Having said that, I was a post WW2 baby, when I think many women were starting their families in their thirties, once all the chaps were back from the war. And now they seem to wait until they are in their forties, but for completely different reasons!

      Delete
  3. It's all topsy turvey really! At some point it will change again! On April 9th my dad would have been 90! Born in 1927... that gave me a start when I realised that! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!