Skip to main content

Candelabra primrose

Primula prolifera, candelabra primrose, must have been formally planted in the woodland garden, when it was first laid out in the 1930s.  Since then they have seeded themselves randomly throughout the wood.  Although the candelabra primrose comes in a wide range of colours - more than often a cheery yellow - here in the grounds of Colonsay House, the plants are a gorgeous magenta.  With the sun shining through the flowerheads, they are a startling beautiful sight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.