Skip to main content

Weekend walks

More golden days!  We have had a great weekend of clear blue skies, lovely sunshine, and late yesterday afternoon an absolutely massive orange moon emerged in the darkening eastern skies.  It was quite a sight to behold!

On Saturday, the dogs and I walked along two sides of a huge field, which was playing host to some swans.  Their number will swell over the coming weeks, and they will stay here, to overwinter well into next year.  They were slightly flustered when we appeared on the edge of the field, a few stretching up and flexing their wings, just to show us whose field it was!  We kept well clear, skirting around the edge, and enjoying the views across to the Lammermuirs in the south.
Does anyone remember the opening sequence to the children's programme Ballamory?  Do you remember Archie's pink castle?  Well, Fenton Tower, below, is Archie's castle, painted pink for the programme, but usually a soft yellow ochre.  It looks rather more vivid here because of the golden light.
Today we walked along a short stretch of the estuary, where the River Tyne (nothing to do with Newcastle) comes out into the bay, just to the west of Dunbar.  It's one of my favourite places to walk, and today we were in luck because there were a few curlew, pecking around in a field of winter wheat.
 And then home for a quiet sit by the fire!



Comments

  1. Lucky you to see curlews! We’ve been enjoying a dry autumn too let’s hope it lasts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love curlews, and the wild sound they make. We've got them near the house too, I could hear them yesterday when I was gardening! Very lucky indeed. Hope all is well with you down in sunny Cornwall! A x

      Delete
  2. Balamory! I remember that! Just googled it to remind me! Tower looks better in your photos! Fab walks and the fire so inviting!
    Warm lovely home! Wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Curlews too - haven't seen any for more than 50 years. Sandy Shoes - where in Cornwall do you live> I'm in East Cornwall, near to Liskeard, and we've had endless rain for months - feels like years! Lawns growing at the speed of light and not enough dry days to mow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rambler, I'm in South West Cornwall near Falmouth. I sometimes hear curlews on the Helford or at least think I do! Just checked the weather forecast and don't want to jinx it but it's looking dry for the next few days!

      Delete
    2. Ssssshhhhh! We have sunshine at the moment!!!! It's actually been dry'ish for the last few days and I cut both lawns on Saturday. Can't stop admiring them now. You live in a lovely part of Cornwall and to have curlews nearby is a great bonus. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!