Skip to main content

A walk on the wild side

Our walking group walk today was a wild affair.  We walked in a big circle, starting in Gullane, across the Aberlady Reserve to the dunes at the back of the long beach of Aberlady Bay.  In the distance, to the west, Edinburgh and Arthur's Seat were just visible .  We slithered down the sandbank on to the beach, about four feet, where the sea had recently gouged out the dune, and headed north along the beach to the headland, and then back towards the beach at Gullane.  We were more or less blown along the beach with the wind at our backs, and there was a little warmth from some welcome sunshine.

It was an exhilarating and epic walk!  Any cobwebs left over from 2019 were well and truly blown away and are probably half way to Norway by now!


Comments

  1. That looks like a fabulous walk - beautiful crisp day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good walk! I don't think I have ever walked in such strong winds - they positively blew us along the beach, our walk almost turned into a run! We all agreed that it was good fun, if not a little dodgy at times! Went back today and it was a complete contrast! I have just posted a short video on Instagram - very peaceful indeed! A xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!