Skip to main content

In a vase on Easter Monday

I intended to find primroses, violets and cowslips for my Easter Monday vase, because those, for me, are the flowers of my childhood Easter memories.  Great big posies of primroses, picked along the towpath of the Basingstoke Canal in Hampshire, and violets and cowslips from the copse on my uncle's farm outside Odiham.  But on a weekend walk my head was turned by the beaming golden face of a dandelion, and I thought that such an outstandingly beautiful flower deserved centre stage today.  Beloved of bees, makers of wine in bygone days, cursed by lovers of an immaculate lawn, and time-tellers for young children as they blow the dandelion dock to let the parachute seeds be taken by the breeze, the dandelion has always been there in our lives somewhere.
The dandelion has many names.  The Lost Words tells us that they have been known as lion's tooth, windblown, milkwitch, parachute and evening glow.  What glorious names for a commonplace wild flower.  
The sage green rosettes are the young leaves of sea buckthorn and they sit alongside some decorative ivy leaves, tender young strands of tufted vetch and purple honesty.
As it's Easter, I have a second offering.  Our little Victoria plum tree has been vandalised by birds over the past few days.  The grass beneath the tree is strewn with perfect flowers and buds - too good to waste.  Here are a few, and I think they are perfection.


Happy Easter from the running wave!  Stay at home, safe and well in these surreal times.

Comments

  1. Dandelions certainly don't deserve their bad rep! And they do make a lovely addition to a vase, as yours proves. I love your plum tree rescues too. Best wishes to you, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris! I hope you and your household have enjoyed a peaceful Easter and no doubt much of it will have been spent in your lovely garden. How blessed we are to have the company of plants! Best wishes Amanda

      Delete
  2. Your vase really proves how attractive dandelion blooms are, in certain contexts (ironically, my plan for tomorrow is to vet the whole garden for dandelions and grub them up!) - what a glorious combination your choice of contents is. Sea buckthorn was a prime ingredient of one of the dishes on Masterchef last week! I wonder why the birds attack the plum tree? You have made good use of the blooms in your dish. Thanks for sharing today, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the humble dandelion! I love its rich golden yellow. My beekeeping teacher pleaded with us not to turf out dandelions as they really are a wonderful source of food for bees! Just saying! The sea buckthorn berry is terrible sharp but I did once have a sea buckthorn souffle at Tom Kitchin's restaurant in Edinburgh, and it was yummy! Happy Easter Cathy, and stay safe and well. Amanda

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful flowers and I love the close -up photos. What camera did you use. All the best, stay safe. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! My camera is very humble! I usually use the intelligent auto setting on my Lumix Panasonic camera, quite an old model now. I really need to get a new camera. This one has all sorts of dust and dirt inside the sealed lens which can't always be edited out! I hope you have had a Happy Easter. Stay safe and well, and thank you for visiting the running wave. A x

      Delete
  4. A very pretty vase. The dandelion is a much overlooked flower. Stay safe and Carry on and keep walking.

    Love

    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a dandelion, and even more so since I discovered how much bees love them too! A xx

      Delete
  5. Good for you, including a dandelion in your vase, and aren‘t they pretty! Just goes to show that we should give weeds some praise occasionally. (But not too much or they will take over!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! I have to admit that wild flowers are my passion, probably more than garden flowers, so very happy to involve them in my Monday vases when I can! After such a long and dreary winter it is such a joy to see all these beautiful flower faces again. I hope you stay safe and well. A

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!