Skip to main content

Wild fruit

I love the opportunity to forage for wild fruit for making jam, jellies, and chutney for us to enjoy and to give as presents, and also to make fruity gin to enjoy at Christmas time!  September and October is a good time for hips, haws, blackberries, sloes, wild damsons, apples etc.  


However, on my walks 'round the block' with Tilly at the moment there are other fruits to gather!  In the hedgerow there are gooseberries - not too many this year but present nevertheless,
and blackcurrants.  The fruits are small but more berries this year than last.
And in the woods around the house there are loads of raspberry canes.  I have made several rounds of sweet pastry filled with fresh raspberries I have picked, which the children (i.e. my grandchildren next door) have really enjoyed as a pudding.  Here's the fruit ...
.... and here's the recipe!

Oven at 180 degree C / gas mark 5

75g (3 oz) butter or margarine
175 g (6 oz) SR flour
75g (3 oz) caster sugar
1 small egg, beaten
1 - 2 tblspns milk
raspberries (or other soft fruit)

Rub the butter into the flour and stir in the caster sugar.
Mix in the beaten egg and enough milk to make a firm-ish dough.  
NB : add the milk gradually.  If you add too much, the dough will be very soft but still usable - it's just a bit more difficult to manage.  It's very forgiving once cooked!
Cut the dough into 2 pieces and roll out one half quite thinly into a round.  I find it easier to do this on the baking sheet! 
Put the fruit on the dough, sprinkle with some caster sugar.
Roll out the second piece of dough and cover the fruit.
Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with a little more sugar.
Cook in the centre of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

You can also make this with 2 - 3 tblspns of mincemeat and a grated cooking apple.

Blackberries come later but in the meantime I am enjoying their lovely flowers.

Comments

  1. Sloe gin was and is my favourite tipple...lovely recipe will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a wild raspberry patch right across the road from our house. I feel quite possessive over it but it's a well known patch and there are often people standing around eating the berries. I have to resist the urge to chase them away with a broom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit of a bummer! I would get your broom(stick) out and if you can manage to pick a reasonable amount of fruit (even 1 lb is worth it) Elizabeth David's recipe for fresh raspberry jam is a bit of a winner. You just warm the fruit on one baking tray in a medium hot oven and warm an equal amount of caster sugar on another baking tray until both are hot and then mix one into the other! The fruit usually bubbles a bit when it hits the hot sugar. And bingo - lovely fresh tasting jam! Pot up in hot sterilised jam jars, cover when cool with a waxed disc and seal. I keep my jars in the fridge - they will last up to a year. The jam is a bit runny but the flavour is better than boiled berries!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!