Friday, 30 May 2014

Maya Angelou

There will always be individuals who, in their lifetime, achieve a staggering amount, usually against all the odds!   It is sometimes easy to feel diminished by their journeys, set against one's own, but that would be ungracious and mean-spirited.  We have to give thanks for having had the opportunity to share the planet with them for a while, for these people enrich our lives and, I think, Maya Angelou is one of those characters.  

I mourn her loss, and thank goodness I have my copy of 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' to read and re-read.  It's one of my favourite books.  If you haven't read it, you must!
Radio 4's Last Word has paid a good tribute to this amazing lady.  As well as everything else, she had a wonderful voice and so much to say.  Have a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b044jh73

No comments:

Post a Comment