Skip to main content

A sense of place

The last art class of the term took us to the Joan Eardley exhibition, 'A Sense of Place', held at the Dean Gallery in Edinburgh.  Actually, randomly, the gallery has been renamed Modern Two, which doesn't seem to appeal to anyone, and it will probably always be referred to as the Dean!  
Most of the exhibition is held in the four galleries upstairs, and although I have visited the Dean Gallery many times, I have never before looked up while climbing the stairs.  If I had I would have seen The Stairwell Project by Richard Wright, which, I thought was rather wonderful!  There is a video about the project here 
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/play/play-menu/the-stairwell-project-by-richard-wright
Joan Eardley had a tragically short career as an artist.  She died very young, at the age of 42.  She was born in Sussex but lived most of her life in Scotland, working initially from her studio in the back streets of Glasgow, in the early 1950s, and subsequently in the north eastern coastal village of Catterline, south of Aberdeen.  While living there she produced powerful paintings of the cottages, as they teeter between the land and the sea, and seascapes using a magnificent array of greys, and colours which identify the east coast light.  You can read more about this rather enigmatic artist here https://www.nationalgalleries.org/aboutus/blog/the-story-of-scottish-art-joan-eardley
Below is a photo of a photo of Joan Eardley, drawing in the Townhead area of 1950s Glasgow, where she sketched urchin children, playing in the streets, near her studio.  The area held a fascination for her and maybe she is best known for her paintings of these children, predominantly featuring young members of the Sansom family.
One of my favourite things about the Dean Gallery (Modern Two) is the allotment site which sits alongside the gallery building.  I always have to have a peek over the wall.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.