Skip to main content

Outer garden notes

The purpose of the outer garden was to provide some waving stems, which could be seen above the wall when sitting at the dining table (mission accomplished), and more importantly, to provide some flowers for pollinators.  The lavenders, fennel, wild carrot, verbena bonariensis and various other bits have all been doing their bit to attract the bees, masses of hoverflies, and butterflies.  Mission accomplished there too!  Hooray!
The wild carrot has produced a flower more lovely than I could possibly imagine!  Each inflorescence seems to vary from its neighbour.  It really is a beautiful plant and I am hoping it will self-seed wherever it feels like!
My new raised bed has disappeared under a mountain of nasturtiums!  Otherwise, the two courgette plants and three Sungold cherry tomato plants are fruiting away, the perpetual spinach has been panicked by the hot weather and started to flower, and the butternut squash plant is threatening to take over the planet!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!