Skip to main content

Not forgetting

As I type this, the Service of Remembrance from the Cenotaph in London, is being broadcast. 
The pipes and drums are playing the Skye Boat Song.  For me, it is a tune which is inextricably linked with my father.  As small children we would each sit on his lap, after Sunday lunch, and he would bounce us up and down, singing the song and getting faster and faster towards the end, with lots of tickling!  It never failed to please us all!  

I discovered this year that Dad fought at the Battle of Kohima, in north-east India, in 1944. Amongst papers, which my brother has, I found the words my father wrote about his years in India and Burma, whilst serving during the war.  
Today, in that minute's silence, at eleven o'clock, and as the canons fire in salute, you can't fail to feel moved, and grateful, to all those service men and women, who fought, and still fight, to keep us safe, and free.

Comments

  1. Your words resonate with me as my grand father fought and died in Burma and won an OBE. May they never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!