Skip to main content

A peaceful day

There is absolutely no chance of a Sunday morning lie-in these days.  Ever since we got Ted, last June, I am up and about any time before 8 o'clock in the morning.  Once I am out with the dogs, I always enjoy the peace of the day, before it gets going.  

This morning was very fair.  Quiet, no wind (for a change), a little warmer and a lovely early morning light with the promise of a day of fine weather.  The birds are beginning to discover our feeders, which is great.  We have really missed the variety of birds we saw when we lived in the wood.  But slowly they are coming.  Lots of robins, dunnocks, a little gaggle of long tailed tits, and Mr and Mrs Blackbird are frequent visitors.  We now have a wonderful expanse of sky to enjoy, and from our dining table we can see flocks of birds wheeling and soaring overhead.  Very uplifting!

This afternoon we went to North Berwick.  I still have flowerpots to collect from the garden of the flat we stayed in during the autumn.  My Marrakech princesses have overwintered there - rose geranium plants descended from a single tiny sprig I brought back with me from Marrakesh three or four years ago.  As I now have no greenhouse, the plants have been sheltering from the winter against a wall in the back garden, and when I checked on them last week, I was amazed to see how much they had grown since last summer!  I thought they would have been quite dormant during the winter, but they appear to have doubled in size!

We went for a walk along the beach, around the harbour, where the waves were rolling in and around the end wall of the harbour wall.  The surf was up, and the fine weather had brought lots of people out to enjoy a Sunday afternoon by the sea.
Once home again, I took the dogs out for a late afternoon stroll, just before it got dark.  The views to the north, from a neighbouring 9-hole golf course where I walk every day, are always good.  I can see across the Firth of Forth to Fife, and as the daylight fades the street lights in the towns along the opposite coastline start to twinkle.

Comments

  1. I feel more peaceful just looking at these images, I also like your bird friends! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely! Thank you. Hope all is well with you in far flung Cornwall. We have had a beautiful day here today. I even had an ice cream while walking along the prom in Portobello with my youngest grandson in his buggy! A few photos to follow on the blog tomorrow! A x

      Delete
  2. I felt much peace reading your post! Such a relaxing day! So glad you are settling into the area xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another resident of Cornwall - and absolutely fed up with the incessant rain, gales, hailstones, storms, more rain, low temperatures . . . well, you get the picture! I really am desperate for warmer, dry weather and sunshine.
    Your beautiful photos are so calming - each one just cries out to be painted. I love your assortment of birds, too; my feeders need topping up twice a day but that is thanks to the flock of Starlings who appear as if by magic as soon as I close the kitchen door after filling the containers. Hopefully, they will soon be on the move to pastures new and my broods of cheeky sparrows will once more spend the day in the hedge, chattering away and having a fair share of the seeds and fat balls. Mr and Mrs Blackbird eat their meals from my front lawn, undiscovered (so far) by the starlings.- Rosemary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely message Rosemary. I hope you get some fine weather soon. We do get a lot of strong winds in our current location, but some great views across the Firth of Forth, which are very uplifting. Can't have everything!! I am seriously missing the brown hares I used to see on my early morning walks. These days I enjoy seeing, and particularly, hearing a number of curlew who are nearly always pecking about on the little golf course next door. They are accompanied by about 6 oyster catchers. There is a heron too, and a whole bevy of teal! So with all this birdlife, I can't really complain! And today I heard the lark - wonderful! Amanda x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!