Skip to main content

Annual reccy

Wherever we have lived, I have always kept a close eye on the local holly trees!  Once they have produced their new crop of berries, I make a mental note of which trees are looking abundant, and which appear to be a bit sparse.  All this, of course, is with Christmas in mind!  Since we left Edinburgh, I do have a favourite holly tree which I return to each year.  I went to check up on it yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, it is not looking very promising, berry-wise, but there are other trees I have earmarked to avoid a dearth of holly at Christmas time (which is not an option!) 
Once we had checked on the tree, the dogs and I enjoyed a walk around familiar fields with much loved views.  
I think the beech tree gives the best of autumn colour.  Glorious rich colours which make the countryside glow.
We walked along this lovely grassy path, with crunchy ginger biscuit coloured leaves on either side, and then back up the hill to the car.  A very enjoyable sunny, autumn walk.


Comments

  1. Great colours and structure. We have a very bright moon tonight for hallowe’en! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to be looking out for decent holly! Mum always got her hoard for Withies hallway from a secret holly bush in Chawton Park Wood!
    Happy holly hunting! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.