Skip to main content

That's another month gone!

I can't believe October has been and gone already.  Halloween had been duly observed by the ghoulish troops next door, although North Berwick shuts up shop at 8pm so they didn't get a huge haul.  

I spent today in Edinburgh.  I started off by having a wander round the churchyard at Greyfriars Kirk, whilst waiting for the Museum of Scotland to open at 10.00.  I was in the church last weekend for an exquisite concert performed by The Sixteen.  Edinburgh was the last stop on their Choral Pilgrimage (http://www.thesixteen.com/page/2013-concert-programme).  

There are some great views of the city from the churchyard and some very substantial tombs.  
And of course there is Bobby, still waiting.
At 10.00 I crossed the road to join my fellow students from the Leith School of Art.  We have been out and about today and I have spent the day in the Museum doing some colour studies of this vista!

I daresay the thought has crossed your mind that this could be anywhere and why would I not choose to draw some of the contents of the museum ? However I like this arrangement and there is a lot more to it than meets the eye, I can assure you of that because I have spent all day looking at it, and I will be there again for another day next week!

The Museum of Scotland is an amazing place.  It was buzzing with visitors today and there was even a mother and baby music group stationed in that pool of orange light you can see in the photo above.  I was serenaded all morning by 'The wheels on the bus going round and round' and 'Old MacDonald', amongst other ditties.  I found myself joining in, under my breathe.  The original museum has had a massive refurbishment quite recently and it really is a fantastic building to visit, stuffed full of wondrous things to see.  Don't miss it if you are visitor to Edinburgh.  I am looking forward to next week's visit already! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.