Skip to main content

A last look at winter?

I am hoping that by the time we come back from Australia, just before Easter, all signs of winter will have been swept away, gathered up by the icy Polar winds which are swirling around us this week, and swooshed off to some other destination.  I have been having some pretty teeth-gritting walks with Tilly this week and although we haven't had the new falls of snow which have blanketed the outskirts of Edinburgh, there are still smidges of white to be seen on the Lammermuirs.
As I wrote in my last post, there is little colour in the landscape.  The skies are leaden and any blue sky which is brave enough to appear is pale and washed out.  The blue is so translucent that the colour doesn't even show up on my photographs so I won't include them here.  However, as I have walked down the drive recently I have been accompanied by three pairs of bullfinches, the males showing off their magnificent, deep peachy pink coloured chest feathers.  There has also been a charm of goldfinches.  The collective name for these groups of little finches is delightful enough, but their flashes of brightly coloured plumage of yellow and red with white dots on black tail feathers, always makes me think of a bunch of quarrelsome circus clowns and I love their company.  When they land on the niger seed feeder in the garden they squabble and push each other around and it's all very entertaining.



Along the back lane the ditches are full of water and the remains of last year's flowers are just broken muddy stems.  The gnarled old hawthorn bushes have yet to show signs of new growth, but the best bit is that by the time I come home at the end of March it will all be happening in the wood and hedgerow.  

Of course, the icing on the cake for me is that I will be swapping the current cold for some Australian warmth, and I think I am ready for that now.  I will try and send you some sunshine in my posts over the next six weeks, so do come back soon!

Comments

  1. Even the English winter with its cold steeliness is beautiful and unique.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!