Skip to main content

A bit of old England?

Well actually, no!  There is a cricket pitch surrounded by elm trees and acres of grass stretching away from the ground, dotted with enormous trees spreading their branches to make cool pools of green shade.  "Howzat" is cried out loud but the umpire is unmoved.  His head shakes solemnly from side to side in disagreement.  The fielders return to their posts and the batsman to his crease.  It all sounds very British (except for the elm trees because they have vanished from our green and pleasant land) but this, dear reader, is cricket in central Melbourne.  It's a great cricket square, a stone's throw from the Shrine of Remembrance.  
The sound of the crack of leather on willow is an abiding memory for me.  It's a sound I first heard in my home village of Hartley Wintney in Hampshire.  I spent my childhood playing on and around the cricket green with my cousins and village friends.  We climbed on the big grass roller and crawled around in a deep grassy ditch that runs along the north side of the ground.  I would like to think local children still do that but suspect they don't as it's all been tidied up and become rather less countrified these days.  

On the other side of the world, my son plays for a cricket team with a difference!  They play with enthusiasm and competitiveness but at that point the similarity between this team and all the others in the league ends.  They don't go in for training, warming up or any kind of preparation. They get out there and play, and generally win.  Not surprisingly this seems to generate a fair amount of irritation from the other teams.  The team motto is shown below!
And any player who goofs up - drops a catch for example, gets to wear this, on and off the field, until the next chap slips up!
With a couple of cans of lager under their belts they are primed and ready to go.
It can be serious stuff though, especially when things go a big awry and dreams are a little lost. Gloves, pads and bat go flying and the 180 second warning is given. "180 seconds and then shut up".  A generous temper allowance when all toys can be thrown out of the pram and thereafter equilibrium is regain.  My son, as a child, punched a hole in his bedroom wall in temper so when he was wrongly judged and given out by the umpire his team mates called to me "Mrs Gaucho, I suggest you stand back"!

The cricket club tea is probably a bit too genteel for this band of merry men!  Bring on the barbie and beer.  I am handed a mug full of chilled South Australian wine which went down a treat.  I must say it's a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend a Saturday Melbourne afternoon and next weekend the team are in the finals.  We are keeping our fingers crossed for a resounding triumph. Either way, you can be sure that the hospitality will be flowing and I'm looking forward to it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!