Skip to main content

In a turbulent world

I am not being flippant but in a turbulent world it is always very reassuring when the village flower and vegetable show comes along again.  I can't believe it's a year since I chatted about last year's event, and with the preoccupations we must all surely have concerning Syria, I think we need these constant reminders that, come hell or high water, flowers will always bloom, vegetables will always grow and it is very important to have the best dahlia or the most gigantic leek.

Every fruit and veg show has to have a lady in a big hat, and here she is.
She was handing out the silverware to the prizewinners.  I rather suspect one village gentleman must have a very large mantelpiece or corner cabinet because he was the sole exhibitor in a few categories and must have staggered away from the proceedings with a considerable haul!
Only one in five of us uses leaf tea these days.  That statistic includes our household.  We don't hold with tea bags, unless it's a fruity one!  I find the category of knitted tea cosy particularly charming but can't help wondering how much longer the teapot is going to be needing it's woolly pullover before the tea bag attains world domination.  
The blue pansy in this last photo reminds me of those glowing Art Deco pictures made with butterfly wings.  

Comments

  1. Loose tea here too: Assam, with a smidgen of Earl Grey in the morning, and Darjeeling in the afternoon . . . made in a vintage (1930s) teapot, which has its own matching stand. There's posh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!