Skip to main content

Daffy-down-dilly

I think that the sun is shining throughout the UK today.  It's coming and going a bit, with large clouds getting in the way, but generally a very sunny Sunday.  

The dogs and I have had a good walk this morning, and the countryside is greening up nicely.
The daffodil season can't last long enough for me.  I love them.  I am reliably informed that as a very small child I picked the heads off every plant in the garden, to present to my mother.  That didn't go down too well.  
Then, later in life, as a young teenager, with little money in her pocket, my father would take me to two places where I knew wild daffodils grew and I would pick Mum a bunch for her birthday on 27 April.  

These days I spend the daffodil days rescuing bunches of long-harvested buds from a lingering death in supermarkets, buying them for knockdown prices.  I also collect up the ragged and wilting blooms which get picked or kicked and strewn along pathways by young hooligans, who don't seem to appreciate that these plants have stalwartly followed their calling to emerge from underground at the end of winter, and eventually produce a proud and joyous flower, which heralds the arrival of a new springtime.  Over several weeks I have a raggle taggle collection of daffodils lined up on my kitchen worktop, where I hope they know they have been appreciated and enjoyed after all.

Comments

  1. Love the idea of you rescuing all those daffys that have been pulled up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't bear to see them lying on the ground, after all the effort they have made to come up and then bloom. When we lived in Edinburgh it enraged me to see all the broken stems throughout banks of narcissus growing in nearby parkland, where the local schoolchildren had just waded through the middle of the sea of yellow! So, I have my own little daffodil ward in the kitchen and they reward me by recovering, albeit tattered and torn, but still smiling! Hope you have a sunny day wherever you are. A

      Delete
  2. I love daffodils too - I think they are my favourite flower, because they signal the end (hopefully) of the dark days and the promise of sunlight to come. Yellow is such a joyful colour and our Cornish lanes are full of flowery sunshine at present - celandines, primroses, wild daffodils, gorse (oh the gorse is wonderfully abundant this year)all lining the banks which border the lanes. Then there's the smell of wild garlic . . mmmm . . . and the coconut/vanilla smell of that gorse. It's a real treat to wander the lanes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delish! I love the smell of gorse - gently spicy and, as you say, coconutty. Wonderful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!