Skip to main content

Out of hours

At the moment we are living beside a 9 hole golf course.  Golf is most definitely not my thing.  I agree with Winston Churchill - a round of golf is a good walk spoilt.  Having said that, out of hours, the neighbouring golf course is serving us quite well in other respects.

There are a few ponds across the expanse of green, which provide sights and sounds from water birds, and wonderful reflections from the sky.
As the rest of us gear up for a summer of tennis, Ted has discovered his favourite seasonal sport is chasing swallows.  As they skim over the ponds and swoop across his bow, he tears after them! It's almost as though they are teasing him.  Their flight is so fast and skilful that he doesn't stand a hope in hell of catching one, but don't tell him that, he's having the time of his life!
During this warm, humid spell of weather I have been picking field mushrooms on the golf course. Several decades ago my mother and I used to pick them on my uncle's Hampshire farm, on misty September mornings, so collecting these has been particularly enjoyable - bringing back happy memories, as well as providing a very delicious ingredient for tonight's supper!

Comments

  1. Ted looks like he's having a ball! I hear you'll be seeing our mutual friend before too long. Give Sally my love when you do :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will indeed! Spending a couple of nights with her family the week after next! Always good fun! A

      Delete
  2. The photos are truly beautiful...so peaceful. Not like the day time when there are golfers muttering under their breaths and talking about tee - ing off, which club to use and going into the rough!!!!
    Ted looks like he is full of beans.
    Looking forward to seeing you A. Thanks CT...will make every effort to catch up with you at Xmas. Happy Summer to you all... xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!