Skip to main content

Second day of the hols, Friday 12 October

We haven't been to Colonsay in the autumn so I have been looking forward to seeing a new palette of colour throughout the island.  I knew that most of the landscape would be reasonably unchanged because rock is rock, and heathland doesn't vary hugely throughout the year.  But autumn is here and I am hoping to record current Colonsay colours during the course of our holiday week.

This afternoon we parked by the Strand across to Oronsay.  The wind has been so strong today that at times it was extremely difficult to stay upright let alone hold the camera steady!  
We had intended to walk over the sand to a run of small beaches which look across to the islands of Jura and Islay, but the tide had left a lot of water behind and as we did not have our wellies we walked back and along a track in another direction.  We could look back over the Strand to Islay and along the track there were a few unexpected bits and pieces.
I found two low growing juniper bushes.  They must have grown there, unassumingly, for donkey's years.
The small hill in the photo below, I believe, is known as Deliberation Hill (or Mound), where the Lords of the Isles used to meet to deliberate matters of the day in the mid 14th century!  There was rather more going on in this part of the world then than now!  I can see why they chose that spot.  You have a view all around and would be able to easily spot those with an alternative agenda!
Finally, around 4.30 pm the sun came out!  The grasses have a gentle foxy colour.
 I love the landscapes but even more I enjoy the tiny detail within the landscape.
Low level cloud often runs along the full length of the island of Jura.  The colours today, on land and sea, were subtle and beautiful.
  

Comments

  1. The photos are a meditation in pictures! Beautiful journey! Wonderful place!
    Deliberation Hill .. we should all have one of those!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!