Skip to main content

The warmest day of the year so far!

There was quite a frost earlier this morning but when I got back in the car this afternoon, in North Berwick, it was registering 16 degrees C!  I think, once moving, the temperature was more like 13.  Either way, it was a really beautiful day - the best of the year so far!  The dogs and I found a new walk today, with great views - north, south, east and west.
I was pleased to see that they are mending holes in the hedge with new planting.  The hedging along the lane was all hawthorn and I expect that's what they have planted in the all the gaps, as you can in this photo.  
Once the hawthorn has grown and matured it will be as big and spready as the single plant below. That will take some decades though!  These hedges will have been around for generations, but as least there are some youngsters coming along behind now.  Delighted to see the farmer cares enough to replenish the hedgerow.  Not enough of them do.
It was warm enough today for the flowers on the gorse bushes to have that delicious spicy coconut smell!  Happy day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!