Skip to main content

Celtic Connections

On Sunday evening, after a late afternoon walk round the big field with Tilly, my daughter and I drove to Glasgow for a concert.
NOTE : no snow ....
We were going to listen to Catrin Finch, a young harpist of prodigious talent, and Seckou Keita, a kora player from southern Senegal.  They came together a couple of years, or so, ago to combine the sound of their two beautiful stringed instruments.  When I first heard their music playing on Radio 3, it blew my socks off.  When I saw that they were performing as part of the Celtic Connections music festival, I booked a couple of seats without further ado.  

The concert was held at The Mitchell.  It's an impressive red sandstone building in the Charing Cross area of Glasgow.  I enjoy a trip to Glasgow, although they are few and fleeting.  But when I am there, in the older parts of the city, I imagine my father, as a young Glaswegian undergraduate, passing this way.  I lost my father forty years ago, and to be there, on his old stamping ground, is rather comforting.
If you haven't come across Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita, or their wonderful CD, Clychau Dibon, you can discover them here :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlDgG3AKrMc
They worked their way through the music on their CD, plus a couple of other pieces.  He sits at his kora, smiling a warm, joyful smile.  She has a quiet, understated expression of happiness as her fingers race across and pluck the strings of her harp.  The interaction between them was such a pleasure to see, and when they went 'off piste' with the pieces they were playing, having a good old jam with harp and kora, it was just brilliant!  Great fun, and highly original!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!