Skip to main content

The last day of February

Tilly and I saw the month out by having a lovely walk at lunchtime today.  We saw four hares  in one field, and then a deer, struggling to find its way out of another field.  She finally took a huge, graceful leap over the fence, another leap over the burn and then bounded away, out of sight.  

I was already counting my lucky stars, having seen the hares and the deer, when about 50 or 60 chaffinches flew across in front of me.  They swooped up into the trees on my right, sat for a minute or two and then, with one accord, flew across the track and landed in the field, where they became completely invisible.  They flitted back and forth, from trees to field, wielding around together.  Not quite synchronised flying, but very nearly.  I have never seen so many chaffinches before, it was a wonderful sight.
I have heard of a charm of goldfinches and wondered what the collective noun would be for chaffinches.  It would seem that a charm applies to all finches, but then according to this lovely website http://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/articles/collective-nouns-for-birds#cbird, they can also be referred to as a trembling or a trimming of finches.  

At the furthest point of our walk I could see the sea,
and at the bottom of the hill a series of road signs which covers pretty well everything, except for dogs.  Tilly was not impressed to have been left out.
And before home, the remains of winter, bleached and blowing in the wind,
followed by the glorious glow of dogwood.

Comments

  1. Charmed to "take a walk" with you today. I found you via On A Small Island blog, and will try to check in regularly. My wife and I live in Catoosa County, NW corner of the state of Georgia. We hope to visit your part of the world in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy that enjoyed today's walk! If you explore past posts on therunningwave I hope you will discover that this part of Scotland is very beautiful! I hope, too, you and your wife enjoy your trip to this lovely country, when the time comes! Thank you for your message, and I hope you will visit again! Best wishes. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud when I saw the frog road sign, when I was little my friend and I dreamed of being frog wardens to 'help a toad across the road'. This was an exciting idea to two girls who grew up surrounded by the streets of London! Antonia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!