Skip to main content

That's the way for Tilly and me

I needed to boost the spirit levels yesterday so Tilly and I had a wonderful walk from the far side of the village, along the river, up and over the hill, and home.  

The riverbank and pathway were blowsy with purple comfrey, sweet cicely, red campion and cow parsley.  The sun shone gently, Tilly had a little paddle in the river, and by the time we got home I felt replenished.  There is nothing quite like the countryside to set you straight!
I know virtually nothing about moths, but could this be a peppered moth?  
'A Boy's Song' by James Hogg is one of my favourite poems, from my childhood.  When I stood on the little bridge crossing this stream, the first verse came to me instantly!  These words re-create my walk perfectly.
WHERE the pools are bright and deep, 
Where the grey trout lies asleep, 
Up the river and over the lea, 
That 's the way for Billy and me. 
 
Where the blackbird sings the latest,         5
Where the hawthorn blooms the sweetest, 
Where the nestlings chirp and flee, 
That 's the way for Billy and me.

Comments

  1. I love this!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. A restorative walk is always the go. I love the wild look of the river banks, the natural look of your lovely walk. Wild patches look fantastic in gardens too. Especially when you are surrounded by nature. I hope it lifted your spirits and you are looking forward... xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would we do without our walks - and the company of our beloved four-footed friends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! Your visits to the running wave, and your comments and feedback are always very much appreciated. Hope the sun is shining wherever you are today. It's glorious here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!