Skip to main content

Final fling

Another sweltering day at the Borders Books Festival in Melrose, but we enjoyed the company of masses of festival goers, all eagerly buying their books in the shop - where we quietly melted in the heat behind the credit card machine! 
We had record attendances for Steve Backshall - naturally - with the longest book signing queue of the festival!  
After that I managed to sneak off from my post in the bookshop to listen to gardener Carol Klein, tracing the seasons in her beautiful Devon cottage garden.  Here she is, passing on some pearls of gardening wisdom at her book signing session!
And then the giant - Michael Parkinson, interviewed by his son, and enrapturing his audience. 
By the time we had packed up the books at the end of the evening, it was well after 11 pm, and after such a boiling hot day I decided to give the wrap party a miss, and tiptoed off to my B&B to have a refreshing shower before collapsing into bed!  Four long exhausting days, but ones I wouldn't have missed for the world.  Three cheers for the Borders Book Festival.  Looking forward to next year's now!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!