Skip to main content

Return to the grounds of Gosford House

Post Script to my last post!

This morning Mr Gaucho, the dogs and I walked in the grounds of Gosford House again.  It was very peaceful, with no-one else around, which was lovely!

I took the opportunity to take a closer look at the medallion over the boathouse, depicting the goddess of health, Hygeia.  The warm weather of the last couple of days has encouraged the blossom to come out on the tree behind the boathouse.  The other day there only three flowers blooming, one of which is shown in my previous post.
There are a lot water birds around the lake.  Grey lag geese, moorhens, mallards, a single swan (who I think is the solitary swan which spends a lot of time on the pond on the golf course next door to us), and various others.
The other day I saw a single heron standing by the water, but I did not spot a small heronry high above in a beech tree.  Today we saw about six herons, perched on their nests.  For such big gangly birds it seems a strange place to build a nest, but no doubt they will have their very good reasons!

Comments

  1. What a beautiful place, would love to check it out when we are over. Serene and peaceful. These rich folks who lived in such lovely surroundings were very fortunate.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!