Skip to main content

Music at Paxton

On Tuesday evening, I drove down to Paxton House, near Berwick-upon-Tweed, for a concert given by one of today's leading international violinists, Tasmin Little, and Australian pianist Piers Lane.  It was a lovely programme but for me the lure was Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending.  It is a firm favourite of mine, one of my 'Desert Island Discs!
Paxton is a country house built at the expense of Patrick Home of Billie, in an unsuccessful attempt to woo a Prussian heiress. Perhaps she was used to something bigger!  She may not have been impressed by this classic pile, sitting in glorious parkland with a lovely view down to the River Tweed and the countryside beyond, but I was.  As an aside, if you are in search of unspoilt, glorious gentle countryside in which to walk, dream away summer days, the Scottish Borders is the place to be.  I love it!  On my journey to Paxton I crossed over the border into England (Northumberland) and then a few miles later, back over into Scotland.  The border between the two countries meanders its way from one side of the country to the other.  On my journey back, I spied the modest, old sign pronouncing 'England' tucked into the grasses beneath the hedgerow.  If Scotland does split from the Union, I wonder if that sign will stay like that, or become a checkpoint.  I would hate that.  We live in very uncertain and troubling times.  Too many unknowns.
However, what I do know is that the herbaceous border at Paxton House is magnificent!  Rich in colour and texture.  Tricky to photograph into the bright, early evening light, but I spent a happy twenty minutes or so sauntering around before the concert began.
The performance was held in the Picture Gallery.  It was a bit like walking into one of the rooms of the Royal Academy in Edinburgh, with huge oil paintings of past residents of the house, grand landscapes, portraits and an assortment of other works of art.
It was a sweltering evening and unfortunately only one window was open in the Picture Gallery.  I sat and melted, but the music was wonderful and the beauty of The Lark Ascending transported me out of that room into open countryside, gentle sunshine and the glorious singing of the skylark, high in the blue above.  Summer bliss.

Comments

  1. Interesting programme didn't know Tasmin Little was still performing. Must be honest although i'm mad about the Highlands, you did sell the Borders. markbeautifulmusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! Delighted to hear that! We love the Highlands too, and in particular the islands (Colonsay is a great favourite as you will see if you have time to explore other posts over the last two or three years during May), but the Scottish Borders are glorious. A bit of a lost world between England and Scotland, and long may it remain so! Maybe you could also take in the Borders Book Festival (mid weekend in June every year) too, en route to the Highlands. Fabulous event, but I am biased - I usually work in the festival bookshop! Re Tasmin Little - this performance was part of her farewell tour over the coming year, I think. A

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!