Skip to main content

Best buds

Spring is definitely busting out all over now!  Despite strong cold winds, due to be even colder next week (groan), trees and spring flowers are responding to their inner time clocks and bursting into life.

A walk round my favourite field revealed fat leaf buds unfolding.
As I walked past a huge willow tree I could hear buzzing.  I have just finished a beekeeping course so I am rather tuned in to the sound of buzzing.  Looking up, I could see the pollen-laden catkins being visited by lots of happy bees!  It was a beautiful tree, especially with the sunlight catching the top boughs.
In the little copse near home there are lots of primroses flowering, and a few cowslips.  There are lots more to come.  There are quite a few fruits trees in there too, and larch trees, which are also in flower.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!