Skip to main content

Garden notes, 22 March 2019

Not too much has changed in the garden over the last couple of weeks.  It has been chilly with very strong winds and I think the plants have battened down the hatches a little bit!  However, there are outbreaks of lovely colour dotted about.

Again I am breaking the photos down in to our small inner garden, and then on the other side of the lovely stone wall, the outer garden.

The inner garden.  The white flowering currant is looking pretty, especially next to the blue of the anemone.  The wallflower plants are survivors from last year.  I planted a few in the border and several more in a huge flowerpot.  They are all looking quite strong and now starting to bloom.
These are my rose geranium cuttings, taken last November before I went to Australia, which are now beginning to bulk out a little.  I will end up with too many of these plants, but I love them, so that's fine!
I have bought a few Bellis daisy plants from Aldi!  They are not the least bit bee friendly, for which I apologise to the bees and other pollinators, but I love them.  They are so pretty and they remind me of my grandmother.  She always had them in her garden.
On the other side of the garden wall the dog's tooth violet, which moved itself up to Edinburgh with us from Hampshire, in my flowerpots, in 1995, and trailed around after us ever since, has produced lots of adorable little plants.  They are all over the place, and here sitting in amongst the lavender plants.
In the photo below, I am not sure what this plant is, although it is familiar.  I do know it's a wild flower, possibly wild mignonette Reseda lutea, so I am just going to leave it and see what happens!  Surrounding it are a few of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of the self-seeded Shining Cranesbill, Geranium lucidum.  Last year there were about a dozen plants, and this year there is a thick carpet of seedlings!
 This is a branch of the witch hazel, post blooming.  The new leaf buds are just appearing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!