Skip to main content

Autumn again!



When we first arrived in Australia, just over three weeks ago, it was a bit disconcerting to be thrown back into Autumn!  We had just left home where longed for Spring was very much in evidence.  But it's a topsy turvy world down here where the sun shines in the north and water runs down the plug hole in the opposite direction.  




Probably like many people in the UK I rather assumed that Australian weather was just one long Summer's day and although I had heard of Melbourne's reputation for having four seasons in twenty four hours, I took it all with a pinch of salt.  Well I can report that it isn't all heat and sunshine and we are having some very chilly weather indeed.  I have had to send for extra jumpers to be sent from home (cheaper than buying new here).  Winter seems to have come early and I have to say that when staying with old friends down on the Mornington Peninsula last weekend, their wood burning stove was a huge attraction!  I was properly warm for the first time since we arrived!


However, to make up for the surprisingly cool temperatures there are wonderful autumn colours to enjoy.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!