Skip to main content

Crosswort

Crosswort, Galium cruciata, is flowering at the moment.  A single strand of this modest wild flower is not particularly spectacular, but groups of stems lend a gentle lime green to the hedgerow and verge in May and June.
It's tiny yellow-green flowers, shaped in cruciform (Cruciata) sit on angular, hairy stems, above and close to the leaves, which are arranged in whorls of four, hence the name crosswort.

In bygone days crosswort had a medicinal use.  It was a useful herb for healing wounds, relieving the discomfort of rheumatism and various stomach disorders.  
The dainty flower is one of the bedstraws, part of the Rubiaceae family.  It is related to that pesky plant, goosegrass or cleavers, which little boys love to throw at your back as you pass by, leaving you unaware of a straggly passenger, hooked into your clothing until you get home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!