Skip to main content

Open Studio - Allanbank Mill Steading

We've waited a year to have the opportunity to go back to this place - Allanbank Mill Steading.  It is the home and studios of quiltmaker extraordinaire, Pauline Burbidge, and her sculptor husband, Charlie Poulson.  They throw their property open to visitors on the first weekend of August, every year.  We went there for first time last year, and have been eagerly anticipating our return ever since!  

Pauline's work is magical.  Have a look at her website, and see for yourself.  http://www.paulineburbidge-quilts.com/quiltscapes.php  Charlie's work is fascinating too.  It is varied http://www.charlespoulsen-sculpture.com He has pieces in lead, and also designs living sculpture, with willow, as well as producing drawings.  I think I enjoy his living pieces most. Clever stuff.

The open studio displays Pauline and Charlie's work in the steading buildings, and they also invite a guest artist to exhibit over the weekend.  This year it is Graham Murrell, a photographer, who also produced a series of thoughtful quotations, which I found rather more interesting than his photos!  Sorry, Mr Murrell.  
We started off in Pauline's design studio.  She has another space, in the granary, where her quilting machine is set up, but I enjoy the energy in the space where she does her thinking and planning.  It is light, bright, ordered and full of beautiful, carefully observed things.
Allanbank Steading is a glorious place.  Swallows swoop in and around the buildings, chattering on the overhead wires, excitable because their peaceful barn spaces have visitors wandering in and out.  
The garden is burgeoning with colourful and expressive plants.
Last time we were here, we very much enjoyed Pauline and Charlie's attention to detail.  It can be found in every single aspect of the property.
So, that's year's very enjoyable visit over.  Roll on next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!