Skip to main content

Spring greens

A chilly walk this afternoon, plagued by showers, but full of fresh Spring greens.  Unfurling ferns, tiny wild gooseberries, green alkanet, Solomon's-seal, the vibrant green of young lime tree leaves and a pale lime-yellow flower I have never seen before and cannot identify.  Any ideas welcome!

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos - is alkanet related to borage as it looks very similar.

    The pale yellow flower - is it a wild lamium known as lamium galeobdolon (Archangel Yellow)?

    All looks very lush...love unfurling ferns.

    Just lovely, all of it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, alkanet is a member of the borage family. Such a glorious blue! I love it. It is very invasive though! Don't be tempted to plant it in your garden, like I did once!! I think the pale yellow flower is from the nettle family, Labiatae, it does have a square stem (I think - didn't look closely enough and the photos are a bit blurred) but I can't find anything like it in my flower book. It is not yellow archangel. I had some of that in my Monday vase a couple of weeks ago. This plant is much taller. The investigation continues!! A xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.