Skip to main content

Woodhall Dean

Our walking group walk today was through the ancient woodlands of Woodhall Dean, situated between the coast at Dunbar and the tail end of the Lammermuir Hills.  A glorious place, full of birdsong, wild flowers (particularly bluebells), the sound of water as a stream runs through the bottom of the wooded valley, and the knowledge that we were walking through a place unchanged since about 1750.  There are indicators that these woodlands are indeed ancient - sessile oak, wood sorrel, ransoms (wild garlic).  Once these wooded areas covered a significant part of the United Kingdom, now they total about 2%.  Today's walk was a bit of a peach!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.