Skip to main content

I'm just saying ....

I walked down the drive towards the road into the village yesterday.  I had the Doggie Girls with me so both hands were pretty full - two leads being yanked off in different directions!  I stopped to see whether the tiny patch of violets were in bloom yet.  Sure enough, they were.  Just a few flowers, but it was wonderful to see them.
 A few feet away, there is a big field.  I walk around it with the DGs.  I haven't done so for a while because when I drove past it a couple of weeks ago, it was being sprayed.  We have had heavy rain since then, so I felt it was probably OK to take the dogs in there.  

The field is now dead.  And by that I mean completely dead.  Not just whatever the farmer was trying to kill off, but every tiny wild plant - heartsease, common mouse-ear, germander speedwell, camomile - that would have been re-awakening from winter, like the violet, to flower and provide food for the bees.  As I walked back to the gate, out of the field, a great big bumble bee came buzzing past.  (I have seen three so far this week, the first of the year).  It didn't stay long because it was a fruitless search.  I apologised out loud to the bee.  I felt the human race had let it down, again.  
I've got an extra verse for the Peter, Paul and Mary song 'Where have all the flowers gone", which my grandchildren will be singing in a few years time.

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Farmers killed them, every one
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!