Skip to main content

Wednesday walk

The weather forecast for later today is dire, so with early morning sunshine, and a lull in the very strong winds of the last couple of days, Tilly and I put our best feet forward to go for a walk before breakfast.  There has been a sharp frost overnight, but without the wind it felt wintery, but comfortable for walking.
I love the rosy sunlight where it catches the bleached out remains of the common reed.  I think this is a lovely plant, giving movement where the grasses flutter like pennant flags, making a gentle swooshing sound, as the wind passes through them.  Its Latin name is Phragmites australis (you can read more about it on this rather good American website I just found (http://www.eattheweeds.com/common-reed/).  It's an interesting plant which has been around a very long time indeed, and it is even edible!   So, the common reed grows all along the burn at the bottom of the big field and, after my little bit of research, I like the plant even more now! 
We managed to disturb the peace of the morning for lots of deer, hares and pheasants, sending them flying off in all directions.  I felt bad about that, so Tilly and I re-planned our route and reached home without upsetting anyone else!  

Our little feathered friend, Morris the blue tit, was up to his antics again.  He keeps appearing at our windows, tapping with his tiny beak, tilting his head to one side in puzzlement and frustration that he can't make any headway with the glass!
And then he has a little tantrum, jumping up and down, because he can't get in!  He is a real little character and just makes me laugh out loud!  Irritating for Morris but, for us, a great way to start the day!
Oh, and today we had a bonus sighting at breakfast time.  Through the window we saw a little chiff chaff flitting about.  I have heard their quite distinctive sound before, but never seen one, so had to look him up!  It's a dear little bird, and a real thrill to have one in the garden.  

Comments

  1. I love Morris! How amazing to see him so close and in such a funny way, I wonder what he's after? Is he looking at your breakfast and hoping you'll give him some cereal and toast or does he just fancy the look of your comfy sofa? Hooray for spring anyway! Antonia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!