Skip to main content

Cuckoos and corncrakes

The dogs and I had another delightful early morning walk, starting with a wander through the outer gardens of Colonsay House, with the sound of the cuckoo echoing through the woodlands.  
Some distance from the track, with their feet planted amongst a green sea of wild garlic and amidst a plantation of conifers, I spied what I assume to be old Victorian posts for the washing lines, where the drying green for the big house must have been.  
This is the bark of a beech tree.  There must be something in the air here which affects the colouration of tree bark.  I noticed the same red colouration on some sycamores the day before yesterday.
I stood here and listened to the cuckoo, not far away, and the grating call of the elusive corncrake, amongst the cacophony of early morning birdsong.  Bliss.
Some early bluebells.  Spring is coming, but slowly.  All good things come to those who wait though!!

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,

And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous photos! I did have a giggle! I read it as Cuckoos and Cornflakes!
    Thought, that can’t be right!!!! đŸ™„xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit like me and shopfitters. I always read it as shoplifters! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early morning light

There have been some cracking early morning skies this week.  The sunrise has generated a strong rose gold light which has been picked up not only in the clouds but also through the silver-white grasses around the edge of the golf course. I always marvel at the clouds.  Constantly changing, formations that have never been seen before, never to be seen again.  

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.