Skip to main content

Seals, sand and sea shells

My cousin and I walked to the beaches of Ardskenish at lunchtime today. It offered the usual delicious cocktail of sand, waves, seashells, seals, fresh air and the desire to be nowhere else.
Here is the reason the beaches are so free from plastic and other rubbish.  The dedication and energy of the locals, keeping their island's principal asset clean and beautiful.
A couple of oyster catchers leaving their footprints in the sand.
And back to the car, across Colonsay's golf course!
We go home tomorrow.  The day has arrived all too soon.  But good news!  The plan is to come back again in October for the island's food and drink festival.  Can't wait.

Comments

  1. Just so beautiful! It’s so remote and peaceful xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!