Skip to main content

Colonsay, Saturday

Set out in the 1930s, the gardens of Colonsay House extend to about 20 acres.  There is an extensive range of rhododendrons and exotic trees and plants from around the world.  The outer woodland garden is overgrown, without the workforce of pre-war times to keep it in check, but it is still a magical place to wander through, especially with the spring sunshine filtering through the trees.
Growing in the boggy ground either side of the burn, which runs through the gardens, are these large, handsome yellow arums, Lysichiton americanus.  
The timing of our holiday on the island was tied in to the Colonsay Book Festival.  I went to two talks. On Saturday afternoon I heard the nature writer, Jim Crumley, talk about wolves, beavers, and eagles.  His little book Hare is blissful and I bought one other in his series of four, Barn Owl.  Before his talk I was lucky enough to chat to him for a while.  He kindly signed my two books, so they are even more cherished now!  On Sunday afternoon I listened to James Naughtie (past presenter of Radio 4's Today programme) talking about his new novel, Paris Spring, which I bought, read and can thoroughly recommend. Both talks were excellent.  The dates for next year's book festival are 29 and 30 April, so that's in the 2017 diary already!
Another good day on the island.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!