Skip to main content

Dinosaurs and all sorts of stuff!

We went to the Jurassic World exhibition at the Melbourne Museum on Tuesday.  The dinosaurs came to life as we walked through Jurassic Park - the fiercesome T-Rex and his scaly associates!  It was quite scary stuff in places, and mind-bending in others.  We were able to touch the femur (photo 2) of a creature that walked the planet 70 million years ago.  And it's not every day of the week you get to do that!
We had a wander around the rest of the museum too.  I should have made a note of what the birds are, but I was more interested in the shadows!
Since my last visit to the museum they have installed a new exhibit replicating a four room weatherboard cottage, originally built in 1858 in a rough area of Melbourne called Little Lon.   It was home to three generations of the Hayes family, immigrants from Ireland.
Out into the sunshine, and in a side street off Brunswick Street, a more recently built home - a little Victorian villa.  This one is rather grandly named Osborne House (could that be after Queen Victoria's home on the Isle of Wight!).
 More graffiti,
and the weird and wonderful seed pod of Araujia hortorum, moth vine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

A simple vase on Monday

I have just one flower in my vase this week. A simple, pretty, wild narrow-leaved Michaelmas daisy. The vase is actually a black pottery cup. I wish I could remember where we bought it and who made it, but it is a great favourite of mine. I even made it the subject of a piece of artwork several years ago. Clearly shaped by hand, it has the air of a Japanese piece about it.

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!